With all the demands on our schedule, I know it can be difficult to find time to sit in traffic for one more appointment. That's why I offer a secure, confidential, and convenient online video therapy platform. As long as you can find a comfortable, private place for 45 minutes, you can receive the help you deserve.
I do not currently accept any insurance plans for a few reasons.
- Insurance companies require a mental health diagnosis be added to your permanent medical record before approving services. Many of my patients are suffering despite not meeting criteria for an official diagnosis.
- Insurance companies often restrict the length of treatment and the type of services that can be offered and require lengthy discussions, reviews, and documentation to support the psychologist's clinical judgment.
- In-network insurance providers agree to allow auditors to review your therapy records. I am committed to confidentiality and prefer to not have non-clinical auditors reviewing your records any time they want. I also have concerns about insurance companies being the target for data breaches as we've seen with Equifax and the U.S. government.
- The fees insurance companies allow for psychotherapy are often less than half of the actual cost for therapy. My fees are average for the Palm Harbor area, and I encourage you to check the independent nonprofit FAIR Health for your ZIP code and the procedure code 90837.
I am happy to provide you with a detailed receipt that can be submitted to your insurance company for out-of-network reimbursement. This means you are responsible for payment at the time of our appointment, and, depending on your plan, a certain percentage of that may be paid to you by your insurance company. You may also look into using a service such as Better to make the process a little easier.
To find out what your insurance would reimburse for out-of-network, call them and ask the following questions.
- Do I have coverage for outpatient mental health psychotherapy and related mental health benefits? For individual psychotherapy, the code is CPT code 90837.
- Does a deductible need to be met, and has it been met?
- Do they require pre-authorization? If so, try to obtain this phone number before meeting with your therapist.
- Is approval or a referral required by a medical provider?
- What is the amount of coverage for an out-of-network provider? (They often give a percentage for this)
- Is there a time limit for submission of claims?
- Where should my claims be mailed?